What is fluorine at room temperature
Fluorine is a colorless, yellow-greenish gas in higher concentrations, which smells pungent like chlorine and is extremely toxic. At room temperature it is in the form of diatomic molecules F2 in front. Fluorine is the least dense halogen, but it is still heavier than air. The gas condenses at −188.12 ° C to a yellowish liquid, which solidifies to yellow crystals below −219.67 ° C. Working with fluorine is extremely dangerous due to its toxicity and reactivity. There are only a few laboratories in Europe that can guarantee the safe handling of fluorine.
|Fluorine bottles in the safety cabinet|
|Fluorine is stored in steel bottles and special safety cabinets.|
A reaction between the fluorine and the steel creates a protective layer on the inside.
Fluorine is the most electronegative element, the most reactive element and also the strongest oxidizing agent known. It reacts with almost all substances even at low temperatures. It combines with hydrogen under the appearance of fire or explosively to form hydrogen fluoride:H2 + F2 2 HF ΔHR. = −542 kJ / mol
It decomposes with water to form hydrogen fluoride and atomic oxygen, which immediately reacts with the oxygen in the air to form ozone.
F.2 + H2O 2 HF + O (atomic)
O + O2 O3
It reacts with most metals and non-metals and even with chlorine, bromine and iodine to form the corresponding fluorides. Some metals such as aluminum, magnesium, nickel, copper or steel are hardly attacked because they are covered with a protective fluoride layer. But they decompose under red heat with fluorine like gold and platinum. Even the noble gases xenon and radon react with fluorine. Since fluorine also attacks glass, it is transported and stored in bottles made of copper-nickel alloys. Organic substances react with fluorine to form hydrogen fluoride and carbon fluoride. This also explains the extreme toxicity of fluorine and many of its compounds.
- Are Australian universities interested in extracurricular activities?
- Why is cola dark
- Women can get jock itchy
- People who are prone to depression are more liberal
- Why are copper and silver less reactive
- People become dehumanized
- Enjoy your way to work
- What does struggle teach people
- Does the keto diet work really quickly
- How would you define a civilized country
- Was the doctrine of eternal sonship biblical
- Is the Micromax cell phone better
- What is the biggest wholesale website
- How is the Nissan Terrano
- Could solar panels power cars and planes
- What are the properties of irrational numbers
- It can snow at 45 degrees Fahrenheit
- How do you feel about Benelli 600i
- What does it mean to check the coolant level
- What memorization techniques do you highly recommend
- Isn't life fair a legitimate statement
- How can India learn feminism from Sweden
- How did slavery end in Brazil