How do guitarists write riffs
An essential part of the rock guitar are riffs, that is, catchy, recurring accompanying figures, which often make up the recognition value of a song.
Just think of the classics of the electric guitar repertoire like "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple, "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath or "Highway To Hell" by AC / DC. There are quite a few classical guitar riffs that are still played by countless guitarists around the world, even decades after it was invented.
But how do you invent your own guitar riffs? Is the creative composition of rock riffs only reserved for particularly talented and inspired exceptional musicians?
In this post, I'll show you seven ingredients of successful and good rock riffs that anyone can use to invent their own guitar riffs.
A while ago I was looking on YouTube for tutorial videos on writing, composing, or, as I always say, "tinkering" guitar riffs.
As a fan of classic, timeless rock songs, I was interested in finding a good riff to build a song on.
The result of my search turned out to be more sobering than expected: There are countless videos with the "100 best riffs of all time" and the like, but I couldn't find any really useful instructions for inventing your own riffs.
So I took matters into my own hands and tried to work out commonalities between good and decades-long guitar riffs.
The result is a list of seven tips that can help ambitious guitarists to compose their own rock riffs.
Here you can find another video to improve your timing, i.e. your sense of rhythm.
2. Power chords
One of the biggest difficulties in playing the power chords with force is background noise. In this video you will learn how to get rid of these once and for all!
How to internalize the pentatonic scale correctly, how to use it optimally and e.g. how to no longer get stuck in individual fingerboard positions, you will learn e.g. in my pentatonic workshop!
The whole guitar fingerboard is structured chromatically. What does that mean, what is that supposed to mean? HERE you learn the basics!
You can find out more about triads in my free course, where I dedicate a whole lesson to this topic!
The most typical electric guitar phrasing are bending, slide, hammer on and pull off. You can learn more about this topic in the pentatonic workshop.
7. Repetition of ideas
Of course, in the video I not only provide the theory, but also put my own tips into practice and construct a four-bar guitar riff.
Hopefully I can use it to motivate one or the other not only to act out, but also to get creative myself from time to time!
Watch the video on "7 tips for creative guitar riffs" here:
Alternatively, you can watch the video directly on YouTube:
Do you have any further tips, questions or comments on this topic?
Then leave me a comment below!
Do you want to learn more from me? Then take part in my completely free course "Play Better Without Practicing More? - 10 Tips Every Guitarist Should Know"! In it I'll tell you a few tricks I've learned over the years!
Tags: guitar riff, guitar power chords, guitar riff
- What programming languages did you learn
- What is emulation in VLSI
- Is the Micromax cell phone better
- Where did Neil Armstrong die
- Why are you supporting Justin Trudeau
- Why is the CMBR not standardized
- Is it possible to be too scientific?
- What are PPT and PPM
- Has LeBron leadership skills
- What is the WhatsApp app used for?
- Can teenagers have a heart attack
- What is the simplest definition of JSON
- What is the guarantee of our salvation
- What should we do about global warming?
- Is a catalyst necessary
- What are some major plastic surgery failures
- Smoking weed hinders spirituality
- How is physics related to other subjects?
- What is the hottest place in Norway
- RNA also helps with genetic engineering
- What are the best CDs for classical music
- Where was Jackson Pollock born
- What is the NEET 2017 scandal
- How do I get a certificate as an electrical supervisor
- If 8x 18 6 what is x
- What promises do you hate most
- What are the province symbols of Telangana
- LinkedIn is a business
- What is the theory of supersymmetry
- What are the different types of fans
- What are the basic rules of art
- What are some popular games from Russia
- What religion is Turkey
- In what temperature range do chic goldfish survive