What do you do with fresh rhubarb
Clean and peel rhubarb properly: this is how it works
Table of Contents:
Clean the rhubarb
Regardless of whether your rhubarb comes straight from the garden or from the supermarket, it should be cleaned before further processing.
The best way to do this is:
1. Remove leaves: Before cleaning, carefully cut off all the leaves on the individual rhubarb stalks with a small kitchen knife.
The leaves should not be eaten as most of them are there Oxalic acid forms. Oxalic acid can cause symptoms of poisoning in large quantities and stress the kidneys. It also attacks the tooth enamel.
2. Rinse with water: It is best to rinse off residues of sand and earth under running, cold water or to clean all rods individually with a damp kitchen cloth. This way, all residues can be easily removed.
3. Cut off dry ends: Depending on how long your rhubarb has been stored, like with asparagus, dry ends may have formed. You cut these off with a kitchen knife as well. You can recognize them by the fact that they are particularly hard and woody.
You can get fresh rhubarb seasonally at the weekly market. Photo: SevenCooks
Does rhubarb need to be peeled?
Not necessarily. You can leave the skin on, especially with young and tender rhubarb stalks.
As a rule of thumb, the best thing to remember is that the thicker the stems, the more important it is to peel them.
Because with older and thicker rhubarb stalks, more accumulates Oxalic acid in the shell. Therefore, rhubarb is only harvested until the end of June, when the stems are fully grown and the oxalic acid content becomes too high.
Peel the rhubarb properly
To remove the thick fibers from the rhubarb stalks, you need to peel it. The best way to do this is with a handy one kitchenknife.
Use the blade of the kitchen knife to place it at the top of the rod where the leaves were. Crack Carefully insert it into the cut surface at the top and loosen the fiber a little.
Now you clamp them fiber between thumb and blade and pull it down. This is how you work your way around the rhubarb stick.
Use a peeler - yes or no?
The best way to peel rhubarb is to use a sharp, small one kitchenknife. A potato peeler that you use to peel potatoes or carrots, for example, is not well suited.
Due to the fibrous-solid You can peel away too much of the rhubarb structure with a peeler and the fibers get awkwardly caught on the peeler.
Can peeled rhubarb be stored?
If you don't use all of the peeled rhubarb stalks, you can leave it in for a few days fridge store.
To do this, wrap it in a damp tea towel, as you would with asparagus, and store it in the vegetable drawer.
To prevent the rhubarb from losing too much moisture and taste, you should keep it within 3 days eat.
Delicious recipe ideas with rhubarb
You can conjure up this delicious Sunday cake from just 3 sticks of rhubarb, vanilla pudding and shortcrust pastry.
Looks like a painting and tastes heavenly like rhubarb: rhubarb tart. Photo: SevenCooks
You can easily preserve the taste of rhubarb in the form of compote. Properly boiled down, it will keep you for several months.
A poem for a sunny Sunday breakfast: rhubarb compote. Photo: SevenCooks
Quick rhubarb cake
In less than 1 hour you can get this fragrant cake out of the oven - wonderful, right?
So delicious and quick to bake: rhubarb cake. Photo: SevenCooks
Strawberry and rhubarb porridge
Strawberries and rhubarb are an unbeatable taste duo! Not only in the jam but also in the porridge they taste heavenly together.
A seasonal healthy breakfast: rhubarb porridge. Photo: SevenCooks
Our rhubarb syrup is just the thing for warm spring temperatures. As a spritzer it tastes sour and deliciously refreshing.
If you make rhubarb syrup yourself, you always have a delicious refreshment ready. Photo: SevenCooks
Cover picture: SevenCooks
- Which are better optologists or opticians
- How can I naturally thicken my hair
- How can snakes help us
- Expires baby powder
- What are the benefits of ATMs
- How to Get 1000 Spotify Games
- Should women divorce each other
- How fast can a turboprop fly
- Iran likes Egypt
- Can i fall in love
- Find book worms attractive
- How did Denethor die
- Why isn't sex boring? It looks repetitive
- Why can't the ATM dispose of coins?
- What features make Apple retail special
- Why do children like to watch cartoons
- What is efficiency based on system
- What are the properties of viral tech products
- What is the schedule of UPSC 2018
- How does life test you
- Why is armed robbery bad?
- What are some good mobile UX workshops
- How many people use the PGP
- How do I become an IPTV reseller