Which galaxy does Alpha Centauri belong to
Like the Milky Way, other galaxies are made up of stars, gas, and dust. Nevertheless, star systems differ in terms of composition and shape. Our next larger neighboring galaxy is the Andromeda Nebula, which can already be seen as a blurred light spot with the naked eye. With a diameter of around 200,000 light years, it is roughly twice the size of the Milky Way. Galaxies can collide, merge or form larger systems - the so-called galaxy clusters and super-galaxy clusters.
Most galaxies can be classified as one of the following types:
The E stands for elliptical galaxies. The number behind it is a measure of the flattening of the system: E0 is circular, while E7 is strongly elliptical.
S indicates a disk-shaped spiral galaxy. Although S0 has such a disk shape and a strongly pronounced core, no spiral arms can be seen. At Sa, these arms are visible and tightly wound around a distinct core. The arms of Sb are a little wider open and the core is less prominent. At Sc, the spiral arms are finally very open and the core is correspondingly even weaker. The same classification applies to SBa, SBb and SBc - with the difference that these are barred spiral galaxies. The spiral arms are not bound directly to the core, but rather connect to a large bar that extends from the center of the galaxy.
Another common form are the irregular galaxies. As the name suggests, these star systems do not have a regular shape. They include the large and small Magellanic Clouds, which are in close proximity to the Milky Way.
Photograph of the particularly impressive "Sombrero Galaxy":
Galaxies on Wikipedia
alpha-Centauri Video: How are galaxies formed?
alpha-Centauri Video: How are galaxy clusters formed?
alpha-Centauri Video: Do galaxies collide?
alpha-Centauri Video: Are galaxies stable?
alpha-Centauri Video: How are bar galaxies formed?
- Are you for or against genetic engineering
- How can you approach a girl
- When did Layne Staley die
- How do you think about innovative products
- What is Dale Earnhardt famous for
- What is an association of owners
- What is x if 3x 11
- How is life in the MAMC Hostel
- What experience is described in the poem
- Is the law a good bearer for girls?
- What if I don't have a bike
- Smartphone chips wear out over time
- How can breathlessness be assessed
- Why do thoughts exist
- Is justice a matter of opinion?
- What are the basics of the degree
- How is the earthquake measured with a seismograph
- Fear is a choice
- What are your favorite python tools
- What is Demi Lovato's most successful song
- What is GCA MATLAB
- Why are shootings so popular in school?
- Club Factory is a Korean company
- What kills a virus
- What causes pain behind the left chest
- An INTJ is doomed to be alone
- Where is Coimbatore
- What is your sister doing
- What can we learn from Frederick Douglass
- How are playoff teams determined in MLB
- What are the virtues of HIV-AIDS
- What is MI meaning of MI
- Are all Christians born again
- Is Harvard racist