How to clean your laptop every day
How to clean the keyboard properly
By Adrian Mühlroth | July 06, 2018, 12:43 pm
Anyone who has a laptop or desktop PC uses a keyboard almost every day. But the input device is a real source of bacteria and needs to be cleaned regularly.
Chips and biscuits, coffee, lemonade and dust anyway: keyboards get a lot of dirt off. The result is that a number of bacteria settle there and at some point the whole thing just doesn't look appetizing anymore. You should therefore clean and dust your keyboard thoroughly from time to time. TECHBOOK has the right tips for this.
1. Remove coarse dirt
- Unplug the keyboard cable or turn off the wireless keyboard
- Lay out some newspaper to catch the dirt
- Turn the keyboard upside down and shake until most of the dirt has been removed
Pro tip: With a bottle of compressed air spray, dirt can be sprayed away very effectively from between the keys
2. Clean the buttons
Isopropyl alcohol or a simple disinfectant is best for removing deposits from the keys
- Soak a mopping cloth with a small amount of alcohol and wipe the key surface. You should be particularly careful with buttons that are used a lot, as several layers of dirt can often accumulate here
- If wiping with the rag doesn't completely remove the dirt, you can also use a cotton swab or toothpick to scrape away any debris
- Wipe the keyboard dry with a lint-free cloth before reconnecting it
Many keyboards are built so that the keys can be removed one at a time. This works for both desktop and laptop keyboards. Some devices, especially mechanical keyboards, even come with a tool that can be used to pull the keys upwards. Other models require you to carefully go under the edge of a button with a butter knife and push up. If you are unsure whether it is possible to remove individual keys from your keyboard, contact the manufacturer as a precaution.
- Take off all the buttons and wipe them with alcohol. It is best to take a picture of the keyboard with your smartphone beforehand so that you know afterwards which key goes where. Alternatively, you can rinse the buttons under running water
- Use a tea towel to dry. To make sure there is no more water on the buttons, let them dry on the tea towel for a few hours.
- Without the keys on the keyboard, the spaces and the key bed can be optimally cleaned. Remove dirt and dust with a compressed air spray or with a vacuum cleaner on the lowest setting. Make sure that there are no loose parts that could be sucked in by the vacuum cleaner
- Wipe the gaps with a rag dipped in alcohol
- Make sure all buttons are dry and gently push them back into their original place. The buttons should snap back into the holder with a soft click
- Wipe the keyboard dry one last time and switch it on or plug it in again
Cleaning the MacBook Pro keyboard
The keyboards of the newer MacBook Pro models use the very complicated butterfly mechanism to achieve a particularly low profile. This means that the laptops can be built flatter than with conventional keyboards. Due to the small distance between the keys and the keyboard bed, however, even small amounts of dust in the keyboard can make keys difficult or impossible to press. Apple initially advised users to use compressed air to remove dust, which can work in some cases. However, the manufacturer has now admitted a design flaw and started a repair program. You can find out whether your MacBook falls under this program here.
- How does the free reverse image search work
- What is a street lamp
- How can I get the best app
- Can JCPenney vouchers be used at Sephora
- How does dialect affect gender?
- Politics is very difficult
- What are some interesting facts about Homer
- Is anyone else using UUCP
- Is terrorism linked to mental illness
- What is an abstract class in programming
- Actually masturbates a sin
- What are some clearly Swiss-German names
- What is a burnup diagram
- Ireland wants to join Schengen
- Was John F. Kennedy a devout Catholic
- How do I advertise an online shop
- Have you ever gone swimming fully clothed?
- How can I turn 250 into 500
- Are clouds a heterogeneous mixture
- What are some safe businesses to start with
- Check out Apple's student discount online
- What is Compton Scattering
- Is it a studio
- Why Diaet-Cola causes acid reflux