Why are some people chronically late
Punctuality: Being unpunctual is lived arrogance
Hand on heart: when was the last time you were late? „punctuality is the courtesy of kings "is a nice bon mot. Unfortunately, there are many people who do not behave like royalty at all: They are late for work, late for meetings, they are late in completing projects, as well as in parties or dates. It's a nuisance. Even a big one ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Punctuality: virtue or pedantry
The excuse is that the German is a terrible pedant be. No other in the global village takes it over time as precisely as the Teutonic bureaucratic soul.
In Latin America, for example still on timewho shows up for an appointment an hour later - more or less.
Might be. But Latin America is far away and this is what drives it in this country failure the people in madness. Being late - the justified exception - that can be excused. But repeated or even chronic? Cheek!
People don't think like this even in this country: A survey by the personnel service provider Randstad found in the USA, for example, that 54 of the employees are furious when people move notoriously late. This is only topped by the annoyance of gossip (60 percent).
How punctual is punctual?
To be on time means having an appointment time or one meeting to be adhered to precisely. Here and there, however, there are certain tolerance limits. In university circles one likes to speak of the "academic quarter". What is meant then is that a quarter of an hour too late or rather to appear, nor is tolerated - without being equal not binding to act.
According to various surveys, the majority of Germans hold one 5 minutes late for acceptable. After all, 11 percent still consider the academic quarter to be justifiable. However, almost 98 percent agree: For private appointments, 15 minutes is the limit maximum waiting time.
Conversely, it can also be grossly impolite to arrive too punctually or too early. If you surprise your host or the organizer while he is still in the middle of the preparations, it will put him in a lot of trouble. Note: also who more than 10 minutes early appears, is unpunctual!
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Why are people not on time?
But why do some people even appear chronically late? This has also been scientifically investigated in the meantime - result:
- The majority of chronic latecomers suffer wrong self-assessment. In short: you underestimate the actual time required for a journey or task and overestimate their own abilities. After all: on average, everyone underestimates the actual time required for a task 40 percent - which regularly causes panic before the deadline.
- The second common reason: The chronically unpunctual have a different feeling for time. When Jeffrey M. Conte of San Diego State University took a closer look at this in 2001, he found that there was a certain personality type among the latecomers. Those affected literally had a different feeling for how time flies. Specifically: While for type A (goal-oriented, punctual) a minute was already over after 58 seconds, for type B (relaxed, unpunctual) it only passed after 77 seconds. Obviously this different sense of time build up and lead to huge delays.
The reasonswhy some are late can vary even more:
- With one it's simple arrogance.
- With the other, it's pure Disinterest. The person concerned considers the appointment, the appointment unimportant or his presence for it.
- Again with the chaotic lack of time management or a constant misjudgment: he has been taking the same route to work for 20 years; it used to take him half an hour. He does not see and does not plan that the traffic density has increased drastically since then and that a construction site has recently been on the route. His excuse: the traffic jam! This is not a real excuse, at most an explanation.
The aforementioned Jeffrey M. Conte, however, also comes to the conclusion that it is often too Distraction and multitasking that cause people to be late on a regular basis. Or as a study by the University of Utah puts it so nicely:
Those who think they can multitask particularly well are worst at it.
To be clear, however: Repeated Being late is not fate, but outrageously, a - more or less – subtle form of arrogance.
Because a repetition can either be avoided deliberately - or is one decision.
The outrageous statement behind the latter:
Other things are more important to me. And I'm so important that I can keep you waiting. I don't have to adapt my behavior to you, but vice versa.
So in the end the strolling turns into a Power and dominance strategywhen you show by your late appearance that meetings cannot start without you. Or by expressing non-verbally:
Look, I can afford to fly you in, pay you - and still keep you waiting!
Keeping other people waiting is nothing more than a pure show of power and Waste of life and work time. A boss who keeps his coworkers idly waiting to demonstrate his status and feel powerful and important is acting foolishly. After all, he pays these minutes of wages too. An expensive and uneconomical luxury!
And even more so not a good role model. It is easy to work out how economically the company is still working, how productive meetings are, once the example is on everyone Hierarchy levels School goes ...
What to do if you are not on time
Sure, breakdowns happen - despite all the planning. You can and must do that to apologizeVow to get better and prove it. Next time at the latest.
So if you notice that you are (again) late - for example because the train or plane is delayed - then call the person waiting and let them know that they are likely to be late and how long they will be.
Please never fool about it. Most excuses are transparent and only make the inconvenience worse. So please always be honest.
If in doubt, a good portion also helps Self-irony: “I would now like to tell you a crazy heroic story of flying elephants and my rescue attempts. But the truth is: I overslept. I'm sorry, but that's why I won't be able to show up on time ... "
Punctuality is a matter of courtesy
Then there are, of course, those Group of the stressed out. Lack of punctuality is their means of getting employment, diligence and indispensability to pretend, motto: "Appointments, appointments, appointments ..." Or just drama, drama, drama.
But the mesh is usually more than transparent. And it doesn't really make you meaningful either. Because whoever is late, works uncoordinated instead of sovereign.
In short: being unpunctual is impolite, uneconomical and a veritable one Career killer.
The unpunctual is on an equal footing with the arrogant and the unreliable.
After all, punctuality (if it is measurable) is based on one thing mutual appointment; a promise to meet on a specific date that has been previously accepted and promised by both sides. Breaking this promise unilaterally and tacitly is an act of self-exaltation - and Breach of trust. Once - can happen. As a scam, it is immeasurable.
Other nations may be more tolerant - but they also appreciate the Teutonic virtue of the Germanic peoples reliability.
What do s.t. and c.t. for invitations?
Perhaps you have already found the following abbreviations on invitations. This is exactly what the times mean:
- s.t. behind the time stands for “sine tempore”, which literally means “without time”. You could also translate it with zero tolerance. If you find this abbreviation on your invitation, you should definitely show up at the exact time mentioned and usually have already taken your place at the table.
- c.t. behind the time however, stands for “cum tempore” and means “with time”. It roughly corresponds to the formulation: “We are counting on your appearance around 7 pm. ”In this case, you don't really have to be on time and you can be up to a quarter of an hour late.
According to the invitation, the party is only just beginning "from" 8 p.m., you can show up at 9 p.m. or later and still be on time. Somehow.
Further articles on this:
- Is God a seventh dimensional being
- Middle kids are always the troublemakers
- Who developed the port of Hambantota
- Is a cathode positive or negative
- What is the BCG vaccine
- How is technology used in house lighting
- What does NEM stand for
- Monica Lewinsky is Anna Chapman's aunt
- Are American alligators endangered
- Who is worse Eurocentric or Afrocentric?
- Where is your next trip
- Why does this Python script print None
- How was Twitter originally started?
- Is Nick Cave really a Christian?
- How is rap written
- If 0 999 1 what is 0
- What are some rapeseed in Polish
- How long do brain zaps last
- What is Sikorsky Aircraft
- How is technology used in house lighting
- The earth is viewed as an ocean planet
- What is CLEP
- What is the purpose of the SmartDraw tool
- Which flower name ends with EN
- What does this error mean in WEKA
- Why are conservatives smarter than liberals?
- What are the most interesting theories
- Is Fiji water good for your body?
- Which physics should I take
- Should a married man have to masturbate
- The Antikythera Mechanism is a computer
- What are some common scams in Accra
- What are the free scientific drawing software
- How do I strengthen the trust of others