Grow plants away from gravity
Why does a germ that is underground grow upwards?
The green grows upwards, the roots grow downwards - this is how it is almost everywhere in the plant kingdom. This allows the plants to use their roots to supply themselves with water and minerals from the ground and at the same time stretch their leaves towards the sunlight for photosynthesis. So roots tend to orient themselves downwards and sprouts upwards. But how do the plants know where up and down is?
You know because of gravity. A phenomenon called gravitropism. Small heavy stones, so-called gravire receptors, sit in the root tips of the plants. They ensure that the roots recognize the direction of gravity. How they work can be explained quite well with the following experiment:
Seedlings are rotated horizontally on a centrifuge so that the centrifugal force corresponds to the gravitational pull. Result: They do not grow upwards, but at an angle. This is proof that gravity controls the direction of growth.
Depending on how you stimulate plants, they can respond with changes in the direction of their growth. If, for example, they are brought from their upright position to a horizontal position by means of wind pressure or experimental gravity stimulation, then they usually straighten up again through an adapted growth. Plants also show this reaction in the dark, so it is not dependent on light.
Sprouts, on the other hand, usually grow away from the center of the earth, away from gravity, due to the same phenomenon. Their exact direction of growth is, among other things, also subject to the influence of light, since light is the energy source of plants.
Prof. Dr. Jürgen M. Schmitt from the Institute for Plant Physiology at the Free University of Berlin.
- Is AI the future of tomorrow
- Was John F. Kennedy a devout Catholic
- What are setup files
- What is the Miss Pacific Islands Pageant
- What Are Dermatologist Tips For Treating Acne
- Why is engineering management so important
- Who is a philosophical person
- What is the formula of 2sinAsinB
- Does anyone travel to Boston
- What happened to the Shadowhunters TV show
- What are some simple craft kits
- Who should sign up for Amazon Flex
- How does marketing affect our daily life?
- Which factors influence the internal resistance
- What is your laptop brand
- Is environmentally friendly made of plastic
- Can caffeine get you high
- Does Dartmouth have a good math program
- Who designed the Apple logo
- Check out employer certifications
- Babies are fearless
- AWS is free
- Which desserts start with the letter U.
- Which is better pulsar 220f or 200ns
- If 78 63x 46 what is x
- How is political science
- How did Russia become an oligarchy
- Do you like Mascha and the bear
- What if I don't have a bike
- Who was greater Pratap or Prithviraj
- PUBG is essential for a common man
- What modern country singers are Christians
- How does laughter help us?
- Is the Micromax cell phone better