Is drinking milk good for bodybuilding
Milk - only for children or valuable for seniors?
What makes milk so valuable even in old age?
Even if the growing age is long past and bone density is declining, milk and dairy products are an important source of nutrients in old age. Especially when the utilization of food components declines with age, it is important to select foods specifically. These should provide as many and easily usable nutrients as possible. Milk and dairy products can score points here in several ways.
- They are considered good suppliers of high quality and easily digestible protein. This means that the body can convert milk white very well into its own protein. (One speaks in this context of a high biological value.) Additional protein enrichments are usually unnecessary.
- In addition, milk provides readily available calcium in comparatively large quantities. 100 ml of milk, yoghurt or kefir already provide 120 milligrams of calcium and thus more than 10 percent of the recommended daily intake. Adequate calcium intake in old age is important to slow down bone loss. Calcium also plays an important role in blood clotting, muscle and nerve function.
- Milk and milk products provide plenty of B vitamins, especially vitamins B2 and B12. B vitamins are required, for example, for the breakdown and conversion processes in the body, the provision of energy and blood formation.
The DGE recommends about every day for adults 250 ml milk, yogurt, kefir or buttermilk and 50 - 60 g cheese (equivalent to 1 - 2 slices) to eat. Seniors should prefer low-fat varieties.
Would you like to know what is important when shopping for milk and yoghurt? You can find out more under "All about milk and milk products".
What should I do if I cannot tolerate milk?
It is more common that milk is no longer well tolerated with advancing age. The body produces less lactase, an enzyme that breaks down milk sugar. As a result, more lactose gets into the deeper intestinal sections and causes symptoms such as intestinal cramps, flatulence or diarrhea. Sometimes it is only the "pure" milk (a few melted flakes may help here) or too large a portion that leads to discomfort. It has not been said whether you will have to reach for lactose-free foods straight away. Find out more here.
Can I replace milk with other foods?
Anyone who rejects milk and dairy products entirely or does not tolerate them should, for example, pay attention to calcium-rich mineral water. The calcium contained there is well absorbed by the body. Mineral water with 500 milligrams of calcium per liter already covers half of the daily calcium requirement. Individual vegetables such as leek, broccoli, spinach and kale are also good sources of calcium.
Vitamin B2 can be found in many animal and vegetable foods. The vegetables mentioned are also good suppliers of vitamin B2, especially if they are prepared with little cooking water. Whole grain products should be preferred for cereal products. Two slices of wholemeal bread or 100 grams of oatmeal cover more than ten percent of the recommendation.
The intake of high-quality protein and vitamin B12 can be covered very well by fish and meat.
Are you a vegetarian? Then you can get more information on our website. The Federal Center for Nutrition has product information on plant-based milk substitutes and yoghurt alternatives.
- Can you transfer your phone to PS4
- What do owls look like without feathers
- What is the best investment website
- It takes to be human, to be human
- Why is my laptop fan always on?
- What do you think of Dean Martin
- Are home security cameras legal
- How do virtual banks work
- Is 54 too old for collage
- Why are some rappers unbeatable
- Who first used the word huichol?
- What do you think of Formula Stocks
- Should I make an appointment
- What makes you learn C.
- Why do we study political science
- Why do people hate Lotus Notes
- Why are speed cameras blinking
- Why does evil always win
- What does high school age mean
- What is the Telugu word for Americanan
- Sold dead on eBay
- Killing domestic cats for pleasure
- Voltas is a Tata company
- What companies use cucumber for BDD