What is the full form of CSV
Data import into Microsoft Excel
This chapter describes how to import the data into Microsoft Excel if you have the data in the CSV with standard settings (download data: CSV).
Note: Please note that Excel can only import a maximum of 255 variables in older versions. Other variables are cut off. If necessary, use a current program version or OpenOffice Calc.
Note: This description refers to Microsoft Excel 2000 (version 9) and 2002 / XP (version 10). Other program versions may use different names.
In the simplest case, the CSV file can simply be opened with a double click.
Depending on the version of Excel, different problems can arise when opening the file - the most important candidates are listed below.
All values are in the first column
After opening, you only see long lines of values that are not separated into columns / variables.
Usually it is enough to do this before downloading Variable separator to change. A tab for current Excel versions is set by default. The older Excel 2000 can possibly handle a semicolon better.
If the data is still not separated into individual columns, you must first start Excel and then open the file via the menu.
- Change that File type on "Text files (* .prn, *. txt, *. csv)"
- Select the CSV file → to open
Instead of a comma number, there is a date in the data
Excel tries to get the best out of the data. For example, if a participant stated that he works 20.5 hours per week, Excel likes to interpret this as May 20th.
But we would like to have a decimal number for arithmetic. To do that, we just need to tell Excel what type of data the column contains.
Step 1: First open Excel and then open the file from Excel (see above)
Step 2: Excel shows more options for CSV files when opened. Here you can now specify which format Excel should expect for the individual columns.
In order to correctly import decimal numbers according to American notation, you have to specify in Excel 2000, for example, that the point () is the decimal separator.
Excel imports formulas instead of texts / #NAME?
When using open text input, some students may use the hyphen () to list multiple items. Excel interprets this as a minus and would like to do the math, but because the participant has not stored a proper formula, only the error message appears.
Again, you have to manually define the data type of the column. This time on "Text".
The STARTED column only contains ##########
By displaying grid crosses, Excel is simply indicating that the column is too narrow to show all of its contents. Just drag the column wider. Alternatively, you can right-click on the column header, select "Column width" and enter a larger value.
The data / columns are shifted
If you are using an older version of Excel, the data may appear to have shifted after import. In return, data is missing at the end of the previous line.
This usually happens when a participant has entered a text with a line break (return) and your Excel cannot handle it yet.
The solution is that oFb replaces all line breaks with the abbreviation. To do this, deactivate the Download data the option Preserve line breaks in text input.
Text entries on multiple lines are incomplete
Sometimes Excel only displays the first line when entering multiple lines of text. Usually the rest is just hidden:
- Increase the height of the line to see the full text or
- select the cell and press the F2 key.
File was not loaded completely
Older versions of Excel only support 255 columns (variables). When loading, a message may be displayed that the data was incompletely loaded - and some of the variables are simply missing.
Here it only helps to use a current version of Excel or OpenOffice.
- Is the camera allowed in ISRO
- Why are Turks not racist against blacks
- Should men and women be together Why
- Did the ancient Macedonians borrow Greek words
- Is psychology a big topic
- Are sticks bad for dogs
- Is Mensa a society for narcissists
- What does cosmopolitan mean
- Has Naruto ever lost in a fight
- Which is the best browser
- How much do software engineers earn from contractors
- How easy is it to port Java
- What is the purpose of inorganic chemistry
- How often should I replace the headphone pillow?
- What genre of music is Gordon Lightfoots
- What is the best way to survive falls
- How do you tire a restless child
- Which is your favorite place in Delhi
- What are the best art therapy courses
- Why don't I get good grades
- Is Yakuza active in Brazil
- What happened to Camille Desmoulin's son Horace
- Are the iPhone data encrypted?
- Can OCD make someone more controlling