Why is Mars red and Earth blue
Curiosity: The sunset on Mars is blue
When Martians invite each other to take a romantic look at the sunset, the two of them do not look into the sunset, but into the evening blue. This is shown by photos recently taken by the Mars rover Curiosity.
- Konstanz University of Applied Sciences, Constance
- DRÄXLMAIER Group, Vilsbiburg near Landshut
On April 15 of this year, Curiosity's 956th day on Mars (Sol 956), the robot succeeded for the first time in capturing a sunset in color with the mast camera.
Dust turns blue
The dust in the atmosphere is responsible for the blue color of the sunset, says Mark Lemmon of Texas A&M University in College Station, who planned the observations. The fine dust is the right size so that the blue components of the light can penetrate the atmosphere more efficiently than the longer-wave colors yellow and red.
"When the blue light is scattered by the dust, it stays more in the direction of the sun than the differently colored light"says Mark Lemmon. "The rest of the sky appears yellow to orange because the yellow and red light is scattered across the sky instead of being absorbed or staying close to the sun."
During the day, red dominates
According to the US space agency National Aeronautics And Space Administration (NASA), the effect is particularly effective at sunset, as the light from the lower-lying sun then takes a longer path through the atmosphere. During the day, however, the rust-red hues of the dust dominate.
The pictures of Sol 956 were taken after a sandstorm. Some of the dust was still hanging in the higher regions of the atmosphere. The scientists want to use the images to determine the vertical distribution of dust in the atmosphere. For this, the images have been slightly edited: the colors and the white balance have been adjusted a little.
The Mars rover Curiosity landed on Mars in early August 2012. Since then he has driven a good ten kilometers. Since September last year it has stood at the foot of Aeolis Mons or Mount Sharp in the middle of the Gale crater.
- What is a virgin wicket
- What is cosmetic dermatology
- When did genetic engineering begin?
- Why does an indicator change color?
- Which word is used instead of rebound?
- The instant clean detox works
- What is Freelance Marketing
- Who doesn't get to experience your feelings
- What is an abstract class in programming
- What is Code 10 at Walmart
- How can I study abroad at the university
- Which goes perfectly with blue jeans
- What does traditional witchcraft mean, not wicca
- How is the book translation process
- Why are information systems so important today
- Did you take coaching for the GATE
- Which countries have the strictest vaping regulations?
- How did business become religion?
- What are shoes that you regret buying
- What does the inability to apologize mean?
- Bartoel is good for your skin
- What is iron sulfate
- Archived emails are deleted in Gmail
- How do I integrate cosx sinx sinx