Which espresso is your favorite and why
Table of Contents
- Espresso interactive infographic
- What you should know about espresso
- Our favorite espresso recipes
- How healthy is espresso anyway?
- Espresso: good to know
- Shopping and kitchen tips for espresso
- Preparation tips for espresso
- Knowledge to take away
- ... improves digestion:After a meal, an espresso or two - this Italian custom actually makes sense. Because the brew stimulates digestion and ensures that even a lavish menu does not burden the stomach too much.
- ... is particularly low in acid:Those who do not tolerate filter coffee as well are usually more lucky with espresso. The reason: espresso beans are roasted longer; in the process, the chlorogenic acid, which irritates the stomach, is broken down by up to 70 percent.
- Preventing heart attacks and strokes with espresso? Yes, it works, and it has been proven: Brazilian scientists have found that the more espresso you drink, the less hardening of the arteries. But be careful: Espresso doesn't help either with smokers or ex-smokers!
- ... can prevent diabetesAccording to several US studies, the plant substances (polyphenols) contained in espresso apparently have a positive influence on the sugar metabolism and the insulin balance. The researchers' conclusion: moderate espresso consumption (around 4 cups a day) reduces the risk of diabetes.
- ... can help with headaches:Several studies in recent years have shown that the combination of espresso and headache medication apparently brings relief to a large number of headache patients. Those who suffer from headaches, especially at night, can also prevent the symptoms with espresso: 1 cup helps in many cases, found the neurologist Dr. Svenja Happe out.
- ... contains fewer irritants:Thanks to the special brewing process, espresso also has an advantage over normal coffee. Because the water is pressed through the powder at high pressure, so to speak, in one go, fewer irritants and bitter substances are released during preparation.
- According to the latest studies, espresso is considered to be cheap for a long life. As a rule of thumb, however, you should only drink around 4 cups a day. An older study by the European Food Commission Efsa confirms this.
- * With an emission value of over 260 grams per 100 grams, the carbon footprint of espresso is poor. The CO2 values are based on the calculations of the IFEU Institute for Energy and Environmental Research Heidelberg and were individually balanced for each food item as "average food" as sold in Germany. They take into account the production location, the production method, all associated transports, processing, packaging and storage proportionally. The emissions of all greenhouse gases such as B. carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) were taken into account and converted into CO2 equivalents. In simplified terms, however, only CO2 is used. * The CO2 balance for this food was determined using comparative values.
What you should know about espresso
At least in Italy: An espresso always works. At almost any time of the day or night, it can be found on the bar counter or on the table in cafés and restaurants. With us, strong coffee in a small cup mainly has its big appearance after a sumptuous meal. Real espresso fans also like to drink it in this country in the morning or in between as a pick-me-up.
Which variety tastes best, how it is really perfectly prepared and which device is the ideal one can argue about. However, there is one thing that all those in the know agree: An espresso is only real and really good if the typical creamy foam glistens on its surface. What is meant is the so-called crema, which is only formed from the coffee oils when the pressure is high enough and which, for connoisseurs, makes milk or even cream superfluous.
The special type of coffee preparation, in which steam is pressed through finely ground powder, was invented in Italy in the middle of the 19th century. The espresso itself has only been around since 1938. At that time, you could only buy and drink coffee from occupied Abyssinia in Italy. Since Abyssinian coffee was not exactly first quality for Italian connoisseurs, but rather beans with an extremely high amount of tannic acid and other defects, a special roast was worked out: The espresso was born.
Fortunately for all fans, espresso is available at any time, without any particular season.
A good espresso tastes strong, aromatic and yet mild.
Our favorite espresso recipes
Here you can find all espresso recipes.
How healthy is espresso anyway?
His fans swear that their favorite is particularly healthy and there is indeed something to it. Espresso is better for a sensitive stomach than conventional coffee, for example, because its beans are roasted longer and therefore contain up to 70 percent less acid.
In addition, for espresso, the hot steam is pushed through the powder at lightning speed. Less bitter and irritant substances that can burden the stomach are released. At the same time, espresso has a beneficial effect on digestion (1).
Espresso can also be the better choice for those who quickly get circulatory problems or get nervous from normal coffee. Because espresso does contain more caffeine than coffee beans, but since you only drink about 30 milliliters instead of 200-250 milliliters, the caffeine dose is significantly lower.
Speaking of the heart and circulation: you also benefit from espresso because it slows down the calcification of the arteries (2). Researchers even found that espresso drinkers live longer (3).
Espresso can also help prevent diabetes because it has a positive effect on the insulin balance and blood sugar level. The scientists recommend four 30 ml cups a day as the ideal amount (4).
|Nutritional values of espresso per 100 grams|
Shopping and kitchen tips for espresso
Espresso is priced between 7 and 32 cents per cup, although the most expensive by no means has to be the best. The Stiftung Warentest also rated inexpensive espresso consistently positive (5). Above all, it is a matter of taste which espresso you find good or tasty: some like it bitter, others rather gentle. Some love it smoky and still others appreciate it sourly. So it's best to try several brands until you find your favorite espresso.
Whether you prefer whole beans or powder is also a matter of personal taste, although it is true that freshly ground espresso tastes particularly aromatic.
Whether beans or powder, espresso easily takes on foreign smells and should therefore always be stored in an airtight can. It doesn't mind the cold, on the contrary: if you keep espresso in the refrigerator, you get the smell and taste longer.
Of course, if you prefer your whole bean espresso, you'll need to grind it before you prepare it. Otherwise there are no special preparations to do.
Preparation tips for espresso
No question about it: with a good machine, espresso is most likely to be perfect and just like in Italy. However, espresso machines can be quite expensive. It depends on whether you really need one. If you only drink a cup now and then, you can also use the good old espresso maker for the hotplate, which Italians still use at home to this day.
It is no secret that you can drink espresso above all else. The summer classics, where you pour the espresso on ice cubes and thus get nice and cool, are more new to many. And of course you can also conjure up delicious cakes, fine desserts and other delicacies with espresso!
Knowledge to take away
Because of the special way it is roasted and prepared, espresso is rightly considered to be particularly digestible for the stomach, heart and circulation. The Italian coffee classic is low in acidity and bitter substances, but rich in aroma.
- Where does the mafia come from
- Gang Starr will be huge
- Do you like threesomes
- We can take turmeric every day
- My burn looks infected
- What is plasma in physics
- How do you say present in Swahili
- Which software development books are the best
- What kind of men are you intimidating?
- Which countries have the strictest vaping regulations?
- What is the best material for scalability
- How do Google ads work on YouTube
- Bollywood is stupid
- Will God punish us for being lazy?
- How long have you been a vegetarian?
- How do I make a money application
- What a miracle hit deserves more
- What do the Chinese believe in
- Why You Should Eat Your Dog
- How do I start freelancing blogging
- How and why did Circuit City fail
- Are there African Americans on Quora
- Sap base training in Kolkata
- Do you like Axl Rose
- Why is the iPhone XR so thick
- Yahoo still has free chat rooms
- What is cognitive mathematics
- History of Hawkesbury Australia
- How to fix an airlock
- What do you like about Bernie Sanders
- Make narcissists good CEOs
- What does request for a comprehensive assessment mean?
- What is the enthalpy of neutralization
- Why is Kingston the capital of Jamaica