Why does toothpaste contain sweeteners



editorial staff
Category: My daily life

7 toothpaste ingredients to avoid at all costs (Image source Unsplash.com)

You pay much more attention to the ingredients in your meals than to the ingredients in your toothpaste. Yet this product, which is used in small amounts on a toothbrush twice a day, is often made up of undesirable ingredients.

Over the course of a lifetime, the average person uses about 75 liters of toothpaste, and even if you spit it out, some of the chemicals that make it up are absorbed into the bloodstream. The mouth is one of the most absorbent places in the body. For this reason, some drugs are used sublingually; H. under the tongue. This is why you should be very careful when choosing your toothpaste. Most popular brands contain ingredients that you should avoid. Here are 7 toxic elements that make up many toothpastes.

Colgate Total toothpaste contains an antibacterial chemical called triclosan, which enables the company to sell it as "the only toothpaste approved for plaque and gingivitis". However, triclosan has been linked to concerns about antibiotic resistance and hormone-active substances (endocrine disruption). Endocrine disruptors are a serious issue because they cause many health problems, such as breast, ovarian, prostate and testicular cancers, premature birth, low birth weight, early puberty in girls, and infertility in boys. Some animal studies have shown that triclosan caused bone malformations in the fetuses of mice and rats, which alludes to hormonal effects. Triclosan would also promote breast cancer progression. The state of Minnesota has already banned most products containing triclosan, but it is still very present in many items such as makeup, soap, etc. that are sold everywhere else. One study showed that people who brush their teeth with toothpaste containing triclosan had 5 times higher levels of this substance in their urine than those who didn't use it.


Toothpastes contain many surfactants such as sodium lauryl sulfate, also known as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES). This surfactant is a chemical substance that adds foaming and cleaning properties to toothpaste. SLS changes the taste. In fact, this substance inhibits the sweet taste receptors, making everything bitter. Everyone had a glass of orange juice shortly after brushing their teeth, right? SLS is very irritating to the mucous membranes and skin and can cause painful mouth ulcers. Some research suggests that people with frequent sores in the oral cavity should not use toothpaste containing SLS. SLS is an ethoxylated ingredient and can contain measurable amounts of 1,4-dioxane, which is considered to be potentially carcinogenic for humans but also persistent in the environment. It can have toxic effects on marine life, fish, insects, and crustaceans. Pesticide manufacturers have tried to get approval to market SLS as such in organic farming, but this application has been denied because of the environmental damage it can cause.


Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are often added to commercial toothpastes. Aspartame is made up mostly of aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol, and you've probably heard that aspartame is safe because fruits and vegetables contain methanol too! However, in these foods, methanol is associated with pectin, which it safely removes through the digestive tract. It has nothing to do with aspartame-methanol; it is not associated with anything it can remove from your body! The second problem is that humans are the only mammals that cannot biologically break down methanol into harmless formic acid. As a result, it travels through the blood vessels to sensitive areas like the brain, where it is converted to formaldehyde to cause great damage. The symptoms of methanol poisoning are numerous and varied: headache, tinnitus, dizziness, chills, memory lapses, numbness or throbbing pain in the extremities, behavioral disorders or neuritis.


Fluoride has long been considered the best ally of carious teeth, but it has been under increased surveillance for a number of years, and for good reason. A groundbreaking study published in the journal Langmuir found that the fluorapatite layer formed on teeth by fluoride is just under 6 nanometers thick. It would be 10,000 times thick to seal a hair, and scientists are now wondering if this thin layer actually protects the enamel, considering that a simple chew is enough to erode it. Toothpaste containing theobromine extracted from cocoa would be better able to repair and remineralize dentin, the main material of the tooth beneath the enamel, than fluoride toothpaste. In addition, fluoride toothpaste is often the primary source of fluoride for young children and a major contributor to dental fluorosis. Research has shown that children swallow easily and ingest large doses of toothpaste while brushing; this intake provides a higher dose of fluoride than the recommended daily intake. Swallowing too much fluorine is particularly harmful. It has been scientifically proven that fluorine is a toxic product that builds up in your tissues over time, causing serious health problems such as neurological and endocrine dysfunction. Children are particularly at risk from an overdose. So if you have young children, use fluoride-free toothpaste ... and so do you!


Propylene glycol is a form of mineral oil that is used in industrial environments in antifreeze, paints, varnishes, and coolants. The pharmaceutical grade is used in many personal care products and of course in dental care products as a surfactant. Research into propylene glycol in skin care products is poor, but it is known to be irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes, and to be toxic to some organs. If you know that it is a product that is processed with glasses, protective clothing and protective gloves, it is probably not a substance that you want to brush your teeth with.


DEA is found in many foaming products, such as toothpaste. It is a well-known hormone-active substance (endocrine disruptor). It can react with other ingredients to form a potentially carcinogenic substance, N-nitrosodiene ethanolamine, which is easily absorbed through the skin and would increase the risk of cancer of the stomach, esophagus, liver and bladder.


Microbeads are tiny plastic granules found in body cleansers, facial scrubs, toothpaste, etc. They get through the sewage system, through filters in sewage treatment plants and can be found everywhere in the environment. Plastic microbeads absorb toxins from the water and are consumed by various marine life and humans ... Aside from the obvious environmental threat, dentists claim to find these beads in the teeth and gums of their patients. This can lead to gum disease as microbeads allow bacteria to enter the gums and provide them with nourishment too!

Source: https://www.santenutrition.net/7-ingredients-du-dentifrice-a-eviter-absolument