What is missing in Indian cricket these days
Hinglish - Singh is King
Famous mistakes in Indian English / Hinglish
The influence of Indian languages on the English language has produced some interesting results. Here are some examples of Indian English coined by Hindi:
1. Where are you putting up?
The Indian way of asking where do you live / do you live?
2. I belong to Delhi.
Not “I live / live in Delhi” but “I come from / am from”. So, born in Delhi.
3. Myself, Hemant.
Hemant introduces himself.
4. What is your good name?
Kindly ask for the name. Has nothing to do with good or bad name, but with the literal translation from Hindi. The question is: "Aap ka shubh naam kya hai" (subh naam = good name)
5. It's like that only.
Means something like: "It's just the way it is."
6. This is my real brother.
Everyone is a brother in India! To differentiate, say “real brother” when it comes to the real brother.
7. We are shifting.
8. She is foreign-returned.
For a person who has returned from abroad.
9. Do one thing.
It's about a specific task. This expression is also a direct translation from Hindi: "Ek kaam kijiye hamara ..." It translates as something like: Do something. This term is used in advice or solicitation.
10. He is first-class first.
Parents praise their son's academic dignity.
11. Out of station
I'm on the go or out of town.
12. Cent per cent done. Ok boss.
Hinglish means one hundred percent. So if you say that in an email to your supervisor, you mean, for some reason, that you have finished your job.
13. He passed out of college in 1997.
It's not about fainting, maybe through fainting. Instead, it means graduating from school.
14. Do the needful.
Archaic language at its best, this is one of the most common Hinglish phrases to use to end an official email.
These are well-known phrases in Indian English / Hinglisch from everyday usage. There is actually no single source to which they can be attributed, as they are common and common.
Faizal Khan writes about art and culture in New Delhi.
Translation: Translated from the English by Kathrin Hadeler
Copyright: Text: Goethe-Institut
- Did Palpatine ever have a love interest
- Why can't I use lenses for Snapchat?
- How do I increase my CGPA
- What is a home pregnancy test
- Were lesbians exterminated under Hitler?
- Includes electricity the transfer of matter
- What does 75 mean between perfect squares
- What are some games that sociopaths play
- Is Gotham about Owlman or Batman?
- What is Google's Local 3 Pack SEO
- Is Sweden really preparing for war?
- Is Mensa a society for narcissists
- What do independents think of Jeb Bush
- Can repair braces underbites
- Is prosperity more important than democracy
- Are we more productive sitting or standing?
- What is better known as Rhinotillexomania
- Who uses Logstash for their logging mechanism
- What is the INFRA project from DRDO
- Which country has the best comedy
- Which is better IOCL BPCL or HPCL
- How do I survive 2 jobs
- What are lion traits
- How do cats brush their teeth?