When was the service tax abolished?
Australia abolishes the "tampon tax" at the turn of the year
Condoms were not affected by the service tax / Almost two decades of protests against sexist regulation
- Reading time: 1 min.
Sydney. In Australia, the so-called tampon tax will be abolished in January after nearly two decades of discussions and protests. Prime Minister Scott Morrison's conservative government coalition reached an agreement with state and regional authorities on Wednesday to exempt women's toiletries from GST at a rate of ten percent. Women's Secretary Kelly O'Dwyer said the outcome of the negotiations would "benefit millions of Australian women."
The GST revenues from the sale of the hygiene products in question were most recently 30 million Australian dollars annually (18.6 million euros). Some regional governments were reluctant to do without it. In contrast to sanitary towels and tampons, products such as condoms and sunscreen were already exempted when the tax was introduced in 2000. This led to sometimes violent protests by women's associations against what they saw as "a deeply unfair and sexist tax". AFP / nd
Read more articles and reports in the ndTicker.
nd journalism from the left thrives on the commitment of its readers
In view of the experience of the corona pandemic, we have decided to make our journalism permanently freely accessible on our website and thus make it available to everyone who is interested.
As with our print and epaper editions, our work as an author, editor, technician or publishing employee is reflected in every published article. It is what makes this journalism possible.
Volunteer now with just a few clicks!
- What colors are your nails right now?
- What is 10 times 5
- What does no Tengo Tu Mail mean
- Is kota overrated for NEET preparation
- How do certification bodies decide about their fees
- What is a common gallbladder pathology
- How can we change agriculture with the help of technology?
- What is the purpose of DNA extraction
- Why did you do it
- How do I deal with this stress
- What makes open source software bad
- What is the best type of alcohol
- Can someone summarize what political context is
- What is missing in Indian cricket these days
- Why do we need an auditor
- How can stress affect pregnancy
- Should we value freedom more than security
- How can something be improved?
- What is the classification in remote sensing
- Where can I find some Coolwinks vouchers
- Medicine is used to promote physiotherapy
- Can electricity flow through fruits
- What is the Best PHP Certification
- Why do blood vessels have to dilate?