How many countries are represented
Infographic: How many seats will each Member State get in the European Parliament?
As of February 1, 2020, the European Parliament will have 705 seats. By the time the United Kingdom left the EU, there were 751 seats. (This is also the maximum number of seats allowed in the EU treaties.)
27 of the UK's 73 seats have been reallocated to other Member States, while the remaining 46 seats are being held in reserve for possible future EU enlargements. The 1976 Act on direct elections to the European Parliament requires member states to notify the European Parliament of the names of MEPs before they can take up their mandate.
No Member State is losing seats
The reallocation of seats ensures that no Member State loses seats. However, some Member States are adding between one and five seats to address their underrepresentation due to demographic changes.
The redistribution takes into account the population of the member states and follows the principle of "degressive proportionality". This means that countries that are smaller in population should have fewer MPs than larger countries. At the same time, a MEP from a more populous Member State represents more citizens than a MEP from a less populous country. Smaller countries are therefore relatively more represented in parliament.
- How can I speed up uTorrent download
- What are some cute 16 party favors
- What if the year 2000 actually happened
- Robots are used to treat kidney cancer
- What's your winter bucket list
- How should managers express constructive criticism?
- What was the Buddha's view of marriage?
- Does anyone have a cat who loves to eat Cheezits?
- What are examples of common organic compounds
- Why are liberals so condescending to others
- Is there anything bad about Buddhism?
- What is the way gas chromatography works
- Who can see my google photos
- What causes white pimples in my throat
- Why are CFC emissions increasing
- What is Samsung Flow
- What are some major plastic surgery failures
- Who is the father of modern psychology
- Iran will soon become a scientific superpower
- What is special about the Maldives
- What are the consequences of wage stagnation
- What frustrates you most about technology
- Why is television crap
- What website is English being learned on?
- Live love, you agree
- How warm can an ice cube get
- Who wrote the first Finnish grammar
- How do people have a photographic memory
- CIA agents risk their lives
- Fordham Law School is good
- From where time began in the universe
- What is a zero sum view
- Why are JRPGs so popular
- What are the cons of freezing bread