What is antifreeze poisoning test

Poisoning

General

Poisoning and the suspicion of poisoning play a role again and again in veterinary practice, ignorance of plants or the intake of unknown substances cannot be correctly assessed. In addition to the various rat and mouse poisons, antifreeze, volatile petroleum products (e.g. gasoline), pesticides and insecticides play a role. Not to be forgotten are overdosed medicines of various kinds, detergents and cleaning agents, as well as poisonous plants that adorn our apartment (Diffenbachia, oleander, poinsettia) or that can be consumed during the walk (yew, autumn crocus, horse chestnut). It should be mentioned in particular that common headache and joint pain relievers (from human medicine) in appropriate doses can be fatal for cats. If you suspect that your animal may have ingested an unknown, possibly poisonous substance, you should take it to the vet immediately. You will help your vet if you can answer the following questions:

Which poison was ingested? Bring any remnants of the substance (even better the packaging) that was probably picked up.

What amounts were ingested? (Eaten, inhaled, skin contact)

When was the poison ingested?

You shouldn't spend time using "home remedies" at home, they can make a lot of things worse!

If the poisonous substance is known, the veterinarian initiates therapy with an antidote (if any). Further uptake of the poison was interrupted or delayed. The stomach and intestines can be emptied by vomiting or enemas; if they come into contact with the skin, the animal is shaved or washed.

garlic

Garlic can cause poisoning, sometimes fatal!

The harmful dose is 5 grams per kg of body weight of whole garlic or 1.25 ml of garlic extract per kg of body weight for 7 days.

Garlic damages the red blood cells and thus causes anemia, possibly with jaundice and blood urine; it causes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract with vomiting and diarrhea.

The “worming cure” with garlic, unfortunately tried by some dog owners, can be fatal for the dog. However, it does not kill worms.

Rat poison

Rat poisons do not lead to blood clotting disorders until 1-5 days after ingestion, but take effect for up to 4 weeks.

If the ingestion of rat poison is suspected, vomiting should be induced immediately after ingestion in order to eliminate the poison.

In the vomited stomach contents, poison grains can usually be recognized by their shape and color. The analysis of the poison from the vomit takes days and is costly. Of course, we cannot wait for that!

If the poison was absorbed more than an hour ago, the anticoagulant effect could already exist and the induction of vomiting could lead to gastric bleeding. Several days after ingesting the poison, patients are presented with shortness of breath, paleness, and apathy. Surface bleeding does not always occur.

A test for the presence of various blood clotting factors makes the diagnosis easier.

We can carry out this quick test right here in the practice! It consists partly of a blood sample and partly of a test on the lining of the lips.

If this test is negative, poisoning with rat poison can be excluded. If it is positive, a further blood test in a third-party laboratory is necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

If the rapid test is changed (i.e. if the blood coagulation is delayed), the special therapy with an antidote is initiated. The duration of treatment is recommended up to 8 weeks and can be continued at home in the form of drops.

chocolate

Cocoa beans contain theobromine, which is fatal to dogs at a dosage of 100 mg / kg body weight. A 100g bar of dark chocolate contains 500 mg theobromine and would be fatal for a dog weighing 5 kg. The first symptoms appear 1-4 hours after admission, ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to shortness of breath and cramps. Treatment of the existing symptoms is possible

Grapes / raisins

An amount of 3-30g / kg body weight raisins or 20-150g / kg body weight grapes caused acute kidney failure in 43 examined dogs. More than 50% of the affected dogs died.

Medicinal products for human use

Paracetamol causes severe liver damage (from 150mg / kg)

Large quantities of birth control pills can cause irreversible damage to the bone marrow