Can be used with him
Personal pronouns in German grammar
What are personal pronouns?
Personal pronouns (personal pronoun) replace an already mentioned noun and are declined. We also use them to talk about ourselves or to address other people.
In this grammar area, learn the rules for the formation and use of personal pronouns in all cases and test your knowledge in the exercises. To learn the pronouns for only one case, go to Pronouns / Declension and select the case you want.
Personal pronouns in all cases
How do you use personal pronouns in German?
- Personal pronouns in the 3rd person (he, she, es) usually replace a previously mentioned noun.
- I have a cat. She is very cute.
- Mr. Schneider would have a budgie. He died.
(Who - the budgie or Mr. Schneider?)
- The pronoun es can also stand for impersonal forms.
- It's raining. It's already late.
- The pronoun es can also be a placeholder for an entire part of the sentence that appears later in the sentence.
- I am glad that you visit me.
(instead of: I am glad that you visit me.)
- We use personal pronouns in the first person (I, we) when we talk about ourselves.
- I'm hungry. I'm cold.
- We go to the cinema. We don't care.
- When addressing other people, we use the personal pronoun in the 2nd person (you, hers) or the polite form Sie (corresponds to the 3rd person plural, but the pronoun is capitalized).
- What's your name? How are you?
- Where are you from? What music do you like?
- Say that again, please? Can I help you?
Personal pronouns in the genitive are very rare, they are used with certain words / phrases that require genitive (see declination / genitive)
- We remembered them.
- They were tired of him.
Personal pronouns and cases
For the use of the cases see the declension of pronouns.
- Why does life always say no
- Why are early school leavers
- What is a white dwarf star
- What food is Oregon best known for
- Are private students protected
- Should be separated at short notice
- How many domain names are registered
- What is the best English to German translator app
- In which areas is there a lack of innovation?
- What is a Magpul PDR
- What a miracle hit deserves more
- Can Australia withstand a Chinese naval invasion
- How many cats are on Twitter
- How do I root a Vivo V3
- What is a proposed change
- Which company offers the best service
- Who is the King of Pataliputra
- Why can't my parents stop arguing?
- Which is more tolerant Shiite or Sunnis
- Why do married women still wear makeup
- Is an apprenticeship only for freshmen
- Why is Owaisi famous in Hyderabad
- Should I do engineering or do BBA
- Where can I download DAZN
- Klebsiella pneumonia is fatal
- How to Increase Endurance for CrossFit
- REAL ESTATE MUMBAI 2
- Are all obtuse angles congruent
- How are transgender people treated in Austria
- Can someone summarize what political context is
- What is GUI graphical user interface
- Should I use shampoo
- What is the right cat diet
- How can I overcome test anxiety