You should use lotion for sunburn
After-sun products - useful or just expensive?
Summer, sun, sunshine: With the warm temperatures, it's time to go outside, whether in the garden, at the nearest swimming lake or at the beach. It goes without saying that the right sun protection should not be missing. But what about after sunbathing? After-sun products should provide an extra dose of care. Are they really necessary - or are manufacturers primarily interested in making a profit for superfluous products?
Markt examines five products in a random sample:
- The own brand Sunozon après lotion from the Rossmann drugstore. 100 milliliters are already available for 48 cents.
- Just as expensive: the Sundance product from dm.
- Garnier's Ambre Solaire lotion is almost three times as expensive. Cost: 1.25 euros per 100 milliliters.
- After-sun care from Nivea for 1.58 euros per 100 milliliters.
- Vichy Ideal Soleil from the pharmacy. At 6.83 euros per 100 milliliters, it is the most expensive product in our sample.
Is more expensive also better?
Special skin measurements at the University of Hamburg showed only minimal differences in the effectiveness of the after-sun products examined. All of them were able to significantly reduce water loss from the skin. A conventional body lotion, which we also put into the race, couldn't keep up here.
After-sun lotions with a high water content
The advantage of special after-sun care is the usually high water content of the creams, as Martina Kerscher, dermatologist and cosmetic scientist at the University of Hamburg, explains. Since they are thin, they are easier to apply than normal body lotions. They also have a cooling effect, which sun-irritated skin usually tolerates better. Many of the products also contain ingredients such as aloe vera extracts or B vitamins such as panthenol, which make a light sunburn subside more quickly.
Be careful with fatty products
The expert advises against greasy body lotions for sun-irritated skin. The reason: If the care that is used after sunbathing at high temperatures and high humidity is too rich, i.e. too oily or fatty, an occlusion effect can occur on the surface of the skin. This means that the skin is literally sealed by this product and the moisture exchange of the skin is hindered. This can cause irritation or small pustules.
Questionable ingredients in after-sun products
Skin exposed to the sun needs pollution-free care. Consumers should generally keep their hands off products with fragrances such as musk compounds or preservatives such as triclosan. Triclosan is suspected of making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Musk compounds, on the other hand, have hormone-like effects and are classified as environmentally hazardous. After-sun products should also not contain perfumes, as they can cause allergic reactions in the skin.
Simply make after-sun products yourself
If you want to avoid harmful ingredients, you can easily make after-sun products yourself. Quark or yoghurt from the refrigerator can be applied to the affected areas as a mask, which effectively relieves pain. In order not to further irritate the skin, the mask should be removed before it dries.
The aloe vera plant is also considered a secret weapon against reddening of the skin, as it is particularly moisturizing. Who has such a plant at home, can apply the gel-like liquid from inside the plant to the affected area of the skin. Alternatively, you can use an aloe vera gel from the pharmacy or drugstore.
Cool skin after sunbathing
The most important thing is to keep your skin hydrated and cool after sunbathing. After-sun creams can help - whether expensive or cheap, it doesn't matter. So that the skin is not irritated too much by the sun, the top rule is to only sunbathe in moderation.
How to protect yourself from skin cancer
Sunlight is good for us, but it is also harmful and can cause skin cancer. How do you effectively protect yourself from it? Tips from dermatologist Melanie Hartmann. more
This topic in the program:
Market | 08/06/2018 | 8:15 pm
- What is the most complex free DAW
- What are the advantages of the euro
- Why should I get a scholarship
- Is a plasticine modeling clay
- How do I propose to a girl
- What are you doing to calm yourself down
- What feeds the Arunachal Pradesh river
- Should I make an appointment
- Is Germany safe for tourists
- What are the most powerful tanks in World War II
- What are the indirect costs of afforestation
- Do you have sex with two men
- What do you think of Dean Martin
- Acids react with insoluble bases
- Are sticks bad for dogs
- What are the benefits of PGDM
- Can be compiled c ++ in Ubuntu
- What makes some cars so loud
- What is the MPG for Toyota Corolla
- Where do cacti live
- Is the West Bank part of Israel
- What if Dagestan gained independence?
- How do I download music from BearShare
- The recycle bin is consuming memory
- What is Camtasia
- Who invented the disc saw?
- What does el yayo mean in Spanish
- What makes the best gift
- How many employees does TechCrunch have
- What memorization techniques do you highly recommend
- What diseases attack the nervous system
- Is pre-tax health insurance
- You have an HTML code
- Why is HDMI better than SCART